Lately, Poplar has seen a rise in popularity. With its great availability throughout the eastern United States, and its great workability with its ability to stain, paint, and machine very well, it is no surprise that Poplar has seen an increase in demand. With all of these things going for it, it is clear that Poplar could be an excellent choice for a multitude of applications.
Think Poplar could work for you? Here are a few of the most common uses for Poplar that we see.
- Furniture – Poplar has always been used as a material for upholstered lumber. It is not usually used in fine furniture due to its color variation, but it is an excellent choice for framing and support.
- Cabinets – We have found that Poplar is rarely used for its own appearance. With today’s design trends leaning towards painted cabinetry we find the practice of painting Poplar cabinets to be growing. Since it is such a durable and machinable species, Poplar is used to create cabinets in a variety shapes and sizes.
- Mouldings & Trim – If you have moulding around the floor or ceiling of your home of office, it might just be made from Poplar! Poplar is often used for ceiling molding and trim. What makes it great for molding and trim is its ability to paint and stain well but most importantly, is that Poplar is regularly found in longer lengths, (12’,14’ & 16’). This is because its logs can be harvested in longer increments which makes it ideal for these kinds of applications.
- Picture Frames – Over the years Poplar has grown in popularity in the manufacturing of picture frames and this continues to be a common use.
- Pallets, boxes and crates – Due to its relatively modest price point, Poplar is a common choice for industrial type uses. We see poplar being used in many utility type applications such as these.
We produce Poplar lumber at a majority of our sawmills at American Lumber. With availability in 4/4 through 10/4 thicknesses, in all grades, and even in straight-line ripped (SLR2E) and surfaced (S2S) if requested.
Think Poplar could be a good choice for your production? Let us know! Whether it is Poplar or another North American or tropical hardwood specie, at American we are always happy to help you get the lumber you need.